Sunday, August 24

Warren Zevon

Just watched the VH-1 special on Zevon. The show uses the recording session for "The Wind" (see below) as a background narrative- but does well to highlight Zevon's career and his influence amongst other musicians (who appear en mass to say goodbye via collaborations on the album).
I saw Zevon once, here in Chapel Hill at the Cat's Cradle. It was during his solo tour- so he played the big hits fromsundry albums. I remember, after his last encore, he reached out to those of us that had squeezed into the front row, and shook our hands. I was probably 15 or 16 at the time, and after shaking those sweaty guitar string smelling hands, every one of his songs I heard on albums sounded different. More alive, I guess.
I wish I could give him the life that's in his music...it's sad to say goodbye to Warren Zevon. But, I look forward to hearing his rendition of Knocking on Heaven's Door in this latest release. It's out Tuesday.