Sunday, December 12

if you think about it...

If you think about it...
I've hesitated from a full out criticism of our Defense Secretary. I'm not much on military smarts. And what has been the biggist popular critism--that Rumsfeld under-trooped our venture in Iraq--is, I think a product of his ambition to slim down the military. My gut reaction is to agree with the notion that we can modernize our military and become less human-life dependant.

However, the under-trooping was also a product of miscalculating the Iraqi insurgency. Even I remember fearing that blowing the lid off Iraq would scatter weapons for street revolters.

This latter point is open for criticism. Miscalculating is human--albeit less-excusible if you are the defense secreatary. But add to that disingenuity, and we have something worrisome indeed. For those untroubled, may I commend this New Republic online article. An important summation of Rumsfeld's recent handling of our troop's concerns.