Sunday, December 4

holiday shopping

Linus, I mean, Richard Cohen, offers a comment in today's Times on an apparent to-do amongst some involving anger at dubbing this present season the "Holiday" season...as opposed to Chrsitmas.

Mind you, I am a sucker for the Holiday/Christmas season. I love the Charlie Brown and Frosty and Rudolph specials. I love walking around city streets with warm lights littering the trees. And I love buying stuff to wrap up for my family. None of that, though, carries any religious metaphysical meaning for me. Metaphysical, yes...as I treasure the societal appreciation of family and the general unabated sentimentality of the times. By 'none of that,' I ought to specify: the commercialized aspects. I love it, but it is segregated from anything religious. In short, I slurp up the commercialized season...while also appreciating the deeply meaningful religious meaning potentially found in late December.

What all is my point? If Cohen acurately points to some kind of movement to replace Holiday Season with Christmas season, a sort-of anti-PR thing, then I agree with him. His point is that some groups seem to be wanting to more closely associate the Coke-born theme of Santa Claus with Christ's birth. Such a movement is, quite frankly, antethetic to any meaningful search, in my mind, for Truth.