Thursday, June 26

Late Edition quotes of the day

Today's quotes arrive from the very same source- the "Breakfast Table" email conversation between Walter Dellinger and Dahlia Lithwick. Dellinger is a lawyer and local law professor, Ms Lithwick is a Slate editor.
First to Dellinger...and this is purely local favoritism on my part:

I did head down to Sutton's Drugstore yesterday (a Chapel Hill landmark since 1923) to see what the regulars at the breakfast counter were talking about, but, by the time I got there, almost everyone had eaten and left for work. George Tomasic, our barber, and realtor Jim Crisp, who were leaving as I arrived, offered to tell me what everybody said at breakfast so I could write it up as if I had been there. I was tempted, but then I remembered that whole New York Times fiasco. I'd hate to see my brief career in journalism come to such an early and ignoble conclusion. ("Exposed Breakfast Table Essayist Is Toast!"�New York Post)

(good to see ole Sutton's Drugs getting full fledged e-props.)

And here, from Ms. Lithwick's responding email:

But instead we have Justice Kennedy, writing for the majority, using the broader substantive due process rationale (you may remember it from such favorites as Roe v. Wade) to carve out a zone of privacy for consensual gay sex! O'Connor declined to overrule Bowers, a decision in which she had joined the misguided majority, but still sided with the majority today to invalidate the Texas law, on the Equal Protection grounds you outlined this morning. My goodness, could Kennedy and O'Connor have had some sort of conversion�some Dickensian visitation? Did the ghost of Justice Warren appear to them in the night, terrorizing them with visions of an apocalyptic America where strict construction and originalism blight the land?