Thursday, July 29

close to enough

a sip and a cd.
Unexpected kindness might be the most fun of all. After my test this week, I planned on joining friends for some pleasant and happy drinking. This, of course, we did.
But along with the company to sip and rinse away the number two pencil marks, I quite undeservedly received a fine bottle of single malt and the sole cd I've been wanting since about winter.

A quick note on gifts. Sometimes you know they're coming, Christmas, birthdays. Those gifts make you feel nice- they reveal, often, some thought. There are, though, those gifts that catch you totally unawares. Last nights' gifts revealed pure thoughtfulness. I'm 26. But I can still be shocked at the capacity of human friendship. Why in the world would you take the time to grab a bottle of scotch, or travel to borders for a cd? No social conventions of gift giving to hold to. Simply kindness to a friend. Weird and wonderful.

And it goes on- an old friend handed me the book I'd been eying to read in August. Several college friends called over the past two days. My parents checked in like new new parents to a baby-sitter.

I doubt they know how much it affects me. I can only make an analogy to Jimmy Stewart, of course. I believe the end of It's a Wonderful Life captures the joy of realizing your friends.