Friday, November 26

pro punch

When Ballers Brawl.
I didn't figure I'd post anything on player/fan fighting in pro sports. But, sometimes, I read a counter opinion that is so good, I am compelled to submit my own opinion so as to have an excuse to link to another.

This is not a good guy vs. bad guy situation. The fan is stupid to throw a cup. Wallace is stupid to shove. Artest did many stupid things--namely, the initial foul against Wallace, who'd just lost his brother to cancer. A plethora of bad behavior was on display in Detroit.

Folks, though, want inherently to blame someone in particular. Who was most at fault? My simple opinion is Artest. As the professional in this context, the higher degree of responsibility rests on him. Regardless of where the chain of events began, the professional has the responsibility to stop it.

Of course, I can already see problems in that analysis: is part of his profession quelling fights? I say yes- in that, in a physical sport, fould happen. Players have a responsibility to have cool nerves. They also have a responsibility, as performers, to ignore threats from the audience. Artest breached that responsibility.

Anyway- the point of this post is to link to this great comment from DailyKos. Largely, it responds to the general contempt given to professional athletes.