Monday, June 30

Beach Blog

Any and all blogging this week is coming to you from the beautiful outer banks of NC. I intend to spend my reading time with real paper. And this morning, while sitting on the porch, I read two fine essays in the (real paper form) NYTimes. I commend them both. First, we have Stanley Fish rejecting the arguments that Justice Thomas' dissent in the Michiga Aff. Act. case was based on personal anomosity. It is as much a discussion of legal theory than anything else- and establishes Thomas' viewpoint- wherefrom his decision is perfectly logical.
Next, again I am with Safire. Read his essay on homosexual marriage. Well. Maybe I don't absolutely agree- but I think I'm with his conclusion- "if you're worried about family values, stop griping and do you're job at bettering your own."